Tuesday, October 27, 2009

sea-worthy

If a ship or boat is sea-worthy it is able to stay afloat and cross the waters. If it isn't sea-worthy it won't hold up: the wood might crack and break into a million pieces, or the vessel may capsize or be beaten down and battered by the natural forces of the sun and sea. If that happenes, everything the ship and everything it carried would never reach its destination.
In the Hail Holy Queen we ask the mother of God to pray that we may be "made worthy of the promises of Christ." When I pray those words I am asking to be made worthy in the sea-worthy sense. I want to be made a worthy vessel for the goodness of Christ.

3 comments:

  1. I meant the ship and everything it carried

    ReplyDelete
  2. but the metaphor falls apart because even if I break apart, if it is Christ who breaks me, then it is better to be broken than to stubbornly hold togther

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am virtually talking to myself lol

    ReplyDelete