Sunday, October 25, 2009

gasping for prayer

I'd like to invite you to think about the biological systems---the universe of cellular activity that work in a newborn's body to make the baby gasp for its first breath. Life outside the womb is impossible for the baby without that first gasp.
That is how I felt when I was praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet for my loved ones who were in trouble the other night. I was so worried and so desperate that my prayer felt like gasping. It made me wonder if each human being might be likened to an individual cell in a baby's body that upon reaching a kind of critical mass causes the newborn to gasp--to draw in that deep and desperate gasp for air that begins the baby's new life.
Jesus told us to pray for one another and to pray for the things we need, to pray without ceasing.
What if our new life depends on it?

No comments:

Post a Comment